Sunday, June 16, 2019

Happy Father's Day

Last night I went and saw Rocketman. For those of you who are unaware, I am a huge fan of Elton John. I have always been drawn to his music and his wonderfully crazy fashions. So when I saw a preview to a movie about him, of course I had to go see it. Even though I am a fan of his, I didn't know much about his personal life. I'm really not one to dig in to the personal lives of famous people. I just like to enjoy their talents. But seeing Rocketman, I never felt so connected to a famous person before. There were many things that happened in the movie that I could relate to when I was growing up. To make a story short, Elton had two narcissistic, emotionally abusive parents, that wrapped up into one, make up my dad.

Reading this, you may be wondering how this can be a good Father's Day story? I am blessed to have an amazing mom, but sadly, after years of trying to make a good relationship with my dad, for my overall wellbeing, I estranged from him. Even though I no long am in contact with my dad, I do know many wonderful men in the world. Many of them are wonderful dads and have shared their compassion and wisdom with me, and I am grateful that they have been there to show me that there are decent fathers and decent men out there.

For those of you who have an amazing dad, make sure you let him know it. Don't take him for granted. I hope you were able to celebrate with him today, and if you don't live near him, I hope you were able to give him a call. If your dad is no longer with you, I hope you remembered him and honored his memory.

For all of you emotionally uplifting, supportive, loving dads, I am wishing all of you  a Happy Father's Day. I hope it was a special day for you spent with your family and filled with love and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment